Trending is the latest theme I’ve had baking in the Theme Hybrid oven for the past few months. As with the previous theme, Retro-fitted, I wanted to step a little bit outside of my design comfort zone again and just have some fun with theme design.
I had some doubts about releasing it because there was a feature that I could never quite get right for version 0.1. So, I canned the feature and decided to stop making everyone wait for the initial release of this theme.
A new parent theme
As with the past few themes, I wanted to reiterate that this is not a child theme.
Trending is a complete parent theme built off the Hybrid Core framework. What this means is that it has the benefit of several years of development behind it while being fresh and using the latest WordPress coding standards and features.
If you want to make modifications, you should make your changes within a child theme. At the end of this post, you can download the sample child theme I’ve put together. It will have everything you need to get started making changes.
The Trending theme has a number of awesome features that you’ll probably like:
- Cool sticky post design with a custom image size.
- Multiple nav menus.
- Per-post/page layouts (one-column, two-column, and three-column layouts).
- Art direction (the ability to add custom, per-post stylesheets).
- Custom widgets (overwrites the default WordPress widgets with better alternatives).
- Several sidebars (you can add widgets in several places).
- Built-in pagination (no need for a plugin to handle page numbers).
- Breadcrumbs, thumbnails, and much more!
It’s not limited to these features though. There’s plenty to play around with.
Download the theme
This theme has been tested and works with the latest version of WordPress. It is a parent theme, so any modifications you make should be handled within a child theme (download example below).