After the release of Hybrid version 0.7, I realized that not many people are keeping track of the things happening with the Hybrid theme based on a lot of the questions I was asked. Obviously, not everyone can keep up with all of this stuff. We all do have lives outside of this community, right?
What I’d like to do is start writing a blog post every now and then that keeps everyone updated on what’s happening. I haven’t decided on a format, but I’d like to round up some of the topics and posts from the forums, at least those things that I think are worth taking a look at.
Feel free to offer ideas on what could make these roundups more useful to you.
Hybrid version 0.8 discussion
There’s always a new topic opened for every major branch of the Hybrid theme, which is where a lot of the ideas for future changes to the theme get tossed around. Just over a week ago, I opened the version 0.8 discussion.
I’d love to get more people to participate in these discussions because we fly through a ton of ideas. Sometimes, it’s easy to overlook how a change in the theme might affect your site. Plus, it’s a great opportunity for you to voice your opinion on the direction of the theme.
Here are some of the ideas and changes coming so far in version 0.8:
- Page template name changes.
- Byline and entry meta functions should use shortcodes by default.
- Removal of the Tabular Data extension.
- Using the WordPress 3.0 menu management system instead of the current page menu.
- Possibility of support for per-post layouts.
- Handle all “comments are closed” scenarios the same (posts vs. pages).
- Showing a sub-menu indicator for drop-downs by default.
There’s no definite timetable on Hybrid becoming a BuddyPress parent theme yet, but the idea is out there. We’ve just started a topic on integrating with BuddyPress, and I’d love to get some feedback from any BuddyPress users on this one.
Interesting support forum posts
There’s a wealth of information on the support forums, but searching through 1,000s of posts can be tough. Here’s some of the topics you might find useful from the last week:
- Creating custom post templates by category
- Adding custom post metabox settings
- Using a shortcode to create a custom loop
- Changing the
[...]at the end of excerpts to a link
- Creating custom shortcodes
- Listing custom taxonomy terms
- Separating trackbacks and pingbacks from comments
- Making custom templates instead of lumping a ton of code into