Hybrid News comes loaded with an extra page template named “Front Page.” This page template will allow you to have the front page as seen on the demo, complete with a featured post slider, excerpts, and headlines.
Using the Front Page page template
Before doing anything, you’ll need to create a new page to use your template with.
Go to your WordPress dashboard and click on “Add New” under the “Pages” menu. You can name your page whatever you want. I’m calling mine “Front Page” for simplicity.
Now, find the box labeled “Attributes.” In the drop-down select box labeled “Template”, select “Front Page.”
That’s it. Just save your page at this point. We won’t be doing anything else here.
The Hybrid News settings page
After creating your page, you’re going to want to set up a few things. While in your WordPress dashboard, head on over to “Appearance > Theme Settings”. This will allow you to set up what should show on the “Front Page” page template.
There are six settings you may select from this area for your template.
- Feature Category
- Select a category to load your featured posts (slider area) from. You may choose to leave this blank as well. It will automatically pull your latest sticky posts if you have any.
- Featured Posts
- Choose how many posts should be shown in the featured slider.
- Excerpts Category
- Select a category to pull your excerpts from. If no category is chosen, it will load your latest posts.
- Excerpts Posts
- Choose how many posts should be shown below the featured slider in excerpted form.
- Headlines Categories
- Choose which categories should be listed below the excerpts. It’s best to choose an even number of categories for aesthetic reasons (you don’t want your content to look lop-sided!). You may choose multiple categories by holding
- Headlines Posts
- Select how many posts should be listed for each headline category.
Writing featured articles
To add a new featured post, you’ll want to write a post, of course! The trick here is to make sure you select the category from the previous step. If you didn’t select a featured category, you’ll want to tick the checkbox labeled “Stick this post to the front page,” which is an option under the “Visibility” setting in the post “Publish” box.
You’ll also want to set up an image to go along with your featured article by uploading an image using the “Featured Image” box on the post edit screen.
To write excerpts, all you have to do is create a new post. Select the category you chose in step 2 as your “Excerpts Category.”
You might want to show a small thumbnail along with these posts as well. You’ll do this by selecting uploading an image from the “Featured Image” box on the edit post screen.
Showing headlines by category
The headlines section is pretty straightfoward. It will display your latest posts (number chosen by you) from each category you chose in step 2.
There’s really nothing else to do except write posts.
Using the template on the front page of your site
I’m assuming most people will want to use the “Front Page” page template on the front page of their site. It just kind of makes sense since it is a news theme.
This is actually fairly simple. Remember that page you created in the first step? You’ll need to remember the name of it for this step.
While in your WordPress dashboard, go to “Settings > Reading.” In the section labeled “Front page displays,” select “A static page.” Then select the page you created for “Front Page.”