Just a few days ago, the Hybrid Core theme framework was released for use by the public. I wanted to release a new theme quickly after releasing the framework to serve as a great example of how to use the framework’s features. Thus, the Prototype theme was born.
Prototype is a new parent theme that takes advantage of nearly all of the Hybrid Core framework features. It comes packaged with multiple nav menus, several widget areas, and per-post layouts, allowing anyone from designers to users to quickly creates beautiful sites.
A parent theme? Not a child theme?
That’s right. This thing isn’t a child theme of one of the other available themes on the site. It’s a full-blown parent theme itself.
This is a new direction you’ll see from Theme Hybrid. Rather than releasing many complex child themes that are impossible to update, new themes will be parent themes. What this means is that you can make modifications to the themes with your own child theme. The goal has always been upgradibility, and that’s what I’d like to aim for with all themes.
Does this mean there’ll be no more child themes? No, there’ll still be child theme releases that are used in a way that child themes were intended to be used. You just won’t see things like me trying to make a news or portfolio child theme based on a blog parent theme. I’ll get into more details on this in a later post.
What are the features of Prototype?
Prototype is a blogging theme with plenty of cool features for the average blogger. I wanted to keep it extremely simple to use.
- Per-post/page layouts (one-column, two-column, and three-column layouts).
- Art direction (the ability to upload custom, per-post stylesheets).
- Three nav menus (before header, after header, and footer).
- Several sidebars (you can add widgets all over the place).
- Custom background (uses the WordPress feature for this).
- Built-in pagination (no need for a plugin to handle page numbers).
- Breadcrumbs, thumbnails, and much more!
Download the theme
This theme is completely free and open source. It’s licensed under the GPL version 2 (license in the download).