After the release of Hybrid version 0.7, I realized that not many people are keeping track of the things happening with the Hybrid theme based on a lot of the questions I was asked. Obviously, not everyone can keep up with all of this stuff. We all do have lives outside of this community, right? 😉
What I’d like to do is start writing a blog post every now and then that keeps everyone updated on what’s happening. I haven’t decided on a format, but I’d like to round up some of the topics and posts from the forums, at least those things that I think are worth taking a look at.
Feel free to offer ideas on what could make these roundups more useful to you.
Hybrid version 0.8 discussion
There’s always a new topic opened for every major branch of the Hybrid theme, which is where a lot of the ideas for future changes to the theme get tossed around. Just over a week ago, I opened the version 0.8 discussion.
I’d love to get more people to participate in these discussions because we fly through a ton of ideas. Sometimes, it’s easy to overlook how a change in the theme might affect your site. Plus, it’s a great opportunity for you to voice your opinion on the direction of the theme.
Here are some of the ideas and changes coming so far in version 0.8:
- Page template name changes.
- Byline and entry meta functions should use shortcodes by default.
- Removal of the Tabular Data extension.
- Using the WordPress 3.0 menu management system instead of the current page menu.
- Possibility of support for per-post layouts.
- Handle all “comments are closed” scenarios the same (posts vs. pages).
- Showing a sub-menu indicator for drop-downs by default.
There’s no definite timetable on Hybrid becoming a BuddyPress parent theme yet, but the idea is out there. We’ve just started a topic on integrating with BuddyPress, and I’d love to get some feedback from any BuddyPress users on this one.
Interesting support forum posts
There’s a wealth of information on the support forums, but searching through 1,000s of posts can be tough. Here’s some of the topics you might find useful from the last week:
- Creating custom post templates by category
- Adding custom post metabox settings
- Using a shortcode to create a custom loop
- Changing the
[...]at the end of excerpts to a link
- Creating custom shortcodes
- Listing custom taxonomy terms
- Separating trackbacks and pingbacks from comments
- Making custom templates instead of lumping a ton of code into