I had an interesting Twitter conversation with Ian Stewart the other day about drop-down menus being the default in his theme framework (Thematic).
Ian tweeted (is that the correct terminology?) this:
I think I'm going to put dropdown menus in Thematic 0.9. God help me.
@iandstewart Most sites don't need dropdowns & should be used on a per-design basis. I'd include the CSS, not the functionality, by default.
His response was a great argument for the inclusion of drop-down menus:
@justintadlock I'd been thinking that but then WordPress already has a solution for that: don't make subpages.
Should drop-down menus be default in Hybrid?
I'm usually against them in many designs because they simply don't fit. But, Ian has a strong argument for the inclusion of the code.
So, I'm going to list off some pros and cons of including drop-downs. I'd like to hear your thoughts.
* Many people love drop-down menus. It would add value.
* More site-wide access from every page.
* If a user creates sub-pages, those pages will be automatically shown.
* Cross-platform compatibility. Drop-downs are great for the latest browsers, but older browsers not so much.
* Themes already available from ThemeHybrid will need new style rules to accommodate the drop-downs.