We’d like to hire a WordPress-savvy PHP developer to help create a new news portal for the University of California, Berkeley. We’ve been working with the ThemeHybrid and Hybrid-News themes, have much of the design work done, are good with CSS, and have implemented plugins for many of our needs. Now we’re looking to accelerate the timetable by adding someone with WP/ThemeHybrid expertise to create the following templates for a child theme:
- Home page with four featured stories with art, accordion-powered sidebar sections listing posts from specific categories (with thumbnails), tabbed sections below featured content with RSS feed listings and a customized tag cloud
- Single post with accordion-powered sidebar
- Single post without sidebar
- Category archive page with a single featured story (with art), chronological listing of posts, accordion-powered sidebar
- Generic page templates with and without sidebar
- Custom header (2 variants) for the site
We’re looking for a coder/developer rather than a designer -- our staff will create whatever graphic images are needed for the project, and we can handle fine-tuning CSS files for the site. We also prefer to use existing, reputable plugins and widgets where that makes sense, rather than building everything from scratch.
Accessibility is an important requirement for the finished product. We plan to code in HTML5/CSS3 to the extent possible and sensible, with graceful degradation for older browsers.
To give you an idea of where we’re headed, a nonfunctional graphic version of the (not yet final) home page design is available at http://www.berkeley.edu/nc2.0/redesign/aug6-p2.html
Please reply to firstname.lastname@example.org with your experience, availability and rates.
~ Steve McConnell
Web managing editor, UC Berkeley